April 13, 2008

A Weird Story

As you probably know, I used to teach school. My students were in all the grades from 6th to 11th, so I had a lot of interesting experiences. Some people ask me, "So, do you miss teaching the high school / junior high kids?"
Ha ha!
You must not have taught high school or junior high.
No, seriously, I do miss some of the students, although they were really whiny at times. And it's hard to focus on the really good, nice 5% of your students, when the other 95% falls into that whiny category.
But in any case, I was thinking of this because I came across a snippet of a student's paper from last year. His name is Issac, and he was in my 8th grade class. Their assignment was to write a short story, and this is how his began. It was titled "Ryan Sitzman," and this includes my corrections that I made for the final paper. For example, before it said “I know this question are stupids for you because you don’t know what I’m talking about…”
In any case, just read it. It's weird. Then you'll know why I love my job now:

“Short Story
Ryan Sitzman.
Have you ever had a dream? Have you ever killed somebody? Have you ever died? I know these questions are stupid for you because you don’t know what I’m talking about. But I know a man, for whom the answer to all these questions is “yes.” And here is his story.
15/11/70. That date, a boy was born in Colorado U.S.A. He was born to a poor family, in a poor town, but with a “rich life.” his name is Ryan Sitzman. At the age of 11, one morning he talked with his mother about a dream: “Mommy, last night I dreamed I killed a very nice black man named Issac. I don’t know why, but I did.”
“It was only but a dream, Ryan,” said his mother."


(Yeah...weird. And keep in mind that this was one of my favorite students, one that I liked, and who liked me as a teacher. Imagine what it was like with the "difficult" ones...P.S. I also docked him points for adding 10 years to my age)

365: Picture a Day Project    365 Leftovers    All My Pictures    Sitzbook

2 comments:

annie lee said...

oh my god! this totally trumps that "the vikings were kind of like if you give a mouse a cookie" essay i once had to grade ...

i am amazed at the life you lead, my friend.

mv said...

This story only gets better with each rereading. Like, for instance, the fact that it begins with "Have you ever had a dream? Have you ever killed somebody?"...because "have you ever killed somebody?" is always the logical next question after disscussing dreams. Perfect.