July 17, 2009

Kystvakten

I know that I’ve been dealing with these fake bands quite a bit lately; in fact, of the 377 posts that I’ve written, a full 4 of them now have been about these fake bands. That’s 1.06% of my entire blog content!

But, I wouldn’t mention it again if I didn’t have something awesome to share with you. My friend Chris Sawyer (YES, like Tom Sawyer, you freaking Germans) sent me his fake CD the other day, and it’s so great, it may even be my favorite of all of them. It’s just such a good gelling of band name, CD title, and cover picture that it’s remarkable. Have a look at the band Kystvakten’s new CD, "Ecstasy at Your Feet":


Now, the inevitable explanation: First of all, "Kystvakten" means --of course-- "The Coast Guard" in Norwegian, and that's evidently the first Wikipedia article Chris came across. Also, the title, "Ecstasy at your feet," is evidently the end of a great quote by Franz Kafka. And the picture... well, the picture means something different for everyone. For me, it's wonderful Eurotrash, what with the skimpy swimsuit, the cigarette, and the veiny hand! And the people out of focus in the back of the frame! Wonderful! Magical!

Finally, as to the music itself, Chris mentions Roxy Music (at least because of the cover), and that the music is a sort of "new wave Scandinavian yacht rock." Brilliant, my good man!

Thanks for this submission, and if you'd like to learn more about yacht rock, a genre that I didn't even know existed, then check out the following hilarious video that Chris turned me on to (and there's a whole series where that came from).



Enjoy!

365: Picture a Day Project    365 Leftovers    All My Pictures    Sitzbook

2 comments:

Angie said...

I was about to say that: Dude, that cover is sooooo Eurotrash.

Sitzman said...

Totally. But you gotta check out the Yacht Rock!!! It's brilliant!