April 28, 2009

Getting The Band Back Together

A while back, my friend Annie put up a post on her blog about her a "fake band" that she was in. At first I was a bit confused, because she and I were actually two of the founding members of another fake band that we formed while we were both TAs for the Scandinavian Department. That fake band was called Faded Sky Gods, and our first album was even going to be called "Bitch's Lucky Day." But then I found out that Annie had left Faded Sky Gods to embark on some solo work under the nom du musique(?) of "Osnat Elkabir." Her debut album was to be called "statesmen and philosophers and divines."

Not bad work, I have to admit, but it could have used more synthesizer.

In any case, I decided to follow the rules (detailed below) that Annie mentioned in her blog, and I started out on my own solo career under the name "Iffeldorf." As you can see from the cover of my debut album above, it's just about guaranteed to go multi-platinum in any country that has cassette players readily available.

In any case, here are the rules if you want to start your own band (cribbed from Annie's page, where it was cribbed from Facebook):

1 - Go to Wikipedia. Hit “random”. The first random Wikipedia article you get is the name of your band.
2 - Go to Quotations Page: the last four or five words of the very last quote on the page will be the title of your first album.
3 - Grab the first photo randomly generated from Creative Commons licensed photos on Flickr here.

So, that's how I started on my own musical adventure. Evidently, "Iffeldorf" is the name of a town in southern Bavaria. Looks nice. The picture is from a random guy on flickr. And finally, the quote is the last part of a quote from Mignon McLaughlin that's good in it's own right. The quote goes: "I'm glad I don't have to explain to a man from Mars why each day I set fire to dozens of little pieces of paper, and then put them in my mouth."

Anyhow, it's all pretty good stuff. Try it out for yourself and tell me what you come up with!

365: Picture a Day Project    365 Leftovers    All My Pictures    Sitzbook

6 comments:

Deuce said...

Band name: Clozapine

Album name: First Requisite to Great Undertakings

I'll email you the picture.

Deuce

Angie said...

No time before you get your own "VH1: Behind the Music" special.

Annie said...

Ryan, osnat elkabir is just a side project! Faded Sky Gods is and will ever be my primary musical focus.

I wish you and Iffeldorf the very best.

See you on the FSG tour, right? Right???

Sitzman said...

Deuce,
I love your and Sam's albums. Can I put them on the blog?

Angie,
Be sure to tape it for me and put it on this phantom DVD you keep promising me.

Annie,
Of course I'll be there, but who decided that we'd have TWO stops in Yankton, South Dakota?

Eric said...

If you got a kick out of that album cover meme you should post your album on my site Figment. Check it out if you get a chance. http://www.figment.cc

Eric
Figment

Sitzman said...

What's figment.cc?
What's a meme?