October 12, 2010

Calzones and Brownies

It was a big day for me, in terms of baking. First, I made some calzones. I got the recipe from The Simple Dollar, and they turned out to be very tasty:

I filled them with cheese, mushrooms, and green olives. For me, though, the highlight was the sauce that I made. It was really basic --just mashed garlic, about 9 chopped-up tomatoes, some herbs, and some tomato paste-- but it turned out to be really delicious!

I also tried to make some layered brownies that my mom and/or sister usually make around Christmas time:

In this picture, though, they look a bit toxic. This is the second layer, which is a sort of minty cream layer between the bottom brownie layer and a chocolate glaze on top. It does look really green in this picture, but that's partially because of the light. I don't have any pictures of the finished product yet, but they did turn out to be very tasty, although the top layer just "wasn't like mom used to make." I think that's 'cause I didn't have sweet baking chocolate, and instead had to melt some milk chocolate, which gave it a different flavor and tone. But still good!

So, thanks for reading, and remember to keep checking back daily for new Blogtoberfest entries!

365: Picture a Day Project    365 Leftovers    All My Pictures    Sitzbook

No comments: