February 2, 2010

Picture of the Day, February 1, 2010

This week I'm hoping to take pictures related to next Sunday's upcoming presidential election.

Because I got here just about three and a half years ago, this will be my first election in Costa Rica. It's a bit different from the U.S., especially in terms of advertisements, adornments, and publicity. Everyone says that this year has been really subdued compared to usual, though.

It's still very common to see flags representing the different parties, hoisted up onto flagpoles or tall bamboo sticks. These two flags were on a house I passed in Rincon de Zaragoza de Palmares de Alajuela, on the way to work yesterday.

The yellow and red flags represent the PAC, the Citizen's Action Party, whose candidate is Ottón Solís.

365: Picture a Day Project    365 Leftovers    All My Pictures    Sitzbook

3 comments:

AnnaLisa said...

Political parties? That's pretty funny--I thought they were semaphore!!

Sitzman said...

(After having looked up "semaphore" in the dictionary)
Yes, you're right, it is kind of unique. When you're down here for a while, you start to forget what's weird and different from the US. For example, I now don't bat an eye when my students say that they like to do "canopy" or that they enjoy "typical food," but when I first got here, I had no idea what they were talking about...
Also, when we were in Colorado, Angela and I were very paranoid about locking car doors.
Different places. Fun.

Sitzman said...

Aaah, delayed thought!
Semaphore is all about signalling, and the Spanish word for stoplight (at least in Costa Rica) is "semaforo."
Interesting!